Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Rage

Dear Cancer-

Dylan Thomas wrote, "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light."  My friend Megan reminded me of this poignant poem yesterday. There are all kinds of ways we "rage" against or for things in this life. I just so happened to rage against you. In a continuous fit of rebellion, I permanently marked my body with a tiny pink ribbon tattoo. It's simple. It's forever. It's totally me. I found, it's just part of my "rage" toward your destruction. At first, I was horrified at scars and marks involving you. It made me sick to my stomach when I thought about not being able to look at myself without judgment again. Well, I got over that. My scars are a different kind of beautiful. They certainly scream “I’m alive.” At some level, adding a mark of my choosing shows the beauty that’s came from you.

Continuing to “rage”
C




1 comment: